What is MMA? Mixed Martial Arts is not just one sport. It is made up of Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Judo. In this blog, we explore the facts, pros, and cons of Boxing and Kickboxing.
Boxing, the sport of raising a fist against another originated in 688 BC in Greece. Gradually modernizing with a set of rules we see today, the sport has come a long way. On the other hand, Kickboxing is relatively new. It originated in Thailand 2000 years ago, inspired by Muay Thai and Karate.
Boxing is a dynamic sport, also a brutal one. It usually leaves the winner and the opponent injured and bruised. However, the beauty of boxing lies in the change in your body and mind experience. The increased stamina, endurance and focus attained through training is unparalleled. If the brutality of the ring discourages you, non-contact boxing is just as beneficial.
A hybrid of Thai Boxing and Karate, Kickboxing is a sport on its own. It includes the use of kicks and punches, making it a far more vulnerable sport than boxing. Unlike Boxing, Kickboxing includes knees & elbows and harsh kicks making defense difficult.
Boxing & Kickboxing
- Boxing is all about packing the most powerful punches. This sport only played with the upper body.
- However, It starts from your feet up to your knuckles as they strike an incredible punch.
- Agility in footwork, head movement, circling, sparring and most of all coordination between the mind and body.
- It is an excellent calorie burner.
- Kickboxing is a high-intensity cardiovascular activity.
- It is a martial arts sport provides various health benefits. Training to kick and punch to together improves balance and builds body strength.
- A higher possibility of strikes tends to make a fighter more alert in the ring.
- It burns more calories than boxing.
- Works Upper body muscles (trapezius, deltoids, biceps, triceps, shoulders, abs, chest and back.)
- Works Lower Body muscles: Quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Boxing integrates the use of all these muscles when you throw a perfect punch, duck, dodge or bob.
- Your respiratory system is the core for this anaerobic activity.
- The conditioning and skills magnify the effect against an opponent or a heavy bag.
- Kickboxing works with the energy on the entire body.
- Benefits include reduced body fat, increased flexibility, and a stronger heart.
- Owing to its high intensity, Kickboxing should start with warm-ups.
|Self – Defense
- Boxers only train with their hands.
- Focus and speed can land more powerful punches.
- In the ring, opponents stay close since boxing is restricted to only punches above the belt.
- This gives the fighter a defending edge.
- Unlike Boxing, the distance between the two fighters cannot be less. There are high chances of getting a kick out of nowhere.
- It is not counted as a defense sport.
- Kickboxing has a higher rate of injuries compared to Boxing.
- The classic boxing stance is sideways. to limit space for an opponent to punch and remain unpredictable.
- The best defensive move is to duck down and avoid incoming punches.
- A kickboxing stance is generally square, as fighters need to be prepared to defend themselves against kicks and punches.
- To step away or duck to dodge punches leaves the opponent with an opportunity to give a full, hip-rotating kick.
- A notion that tall and big build fighters always have the upper hand is entirely untrue. In boxing, every body type has its advantages.
- Manny Pacquiao alias Pac Man is 1.66m tall, but his advantage is being big boned. He possesses a big wrist (8in.).
- Leg kicks dominate kickboxing. Powerful lower body muscles are indeed required. If you have ever had a prior injury, you might need a fitness check before joining Kickboxing.
- Speed and endurance levels are a must. No matter the body type.
- Train like Buakaw Banchamek, the famous 1.74m tall Muay Thai Kickboxer.
||Boxing is a Physical and Psychological activity. A monotonous and hectic lifestyle builds stress. Practicing jab combinations on a heavy bag provides an outlet for frustration, anxiety, and aggression.
||Kickboxing is an excellent outlet for aggressive adults. It’s a perfect workout if you had a terrible day at work. Punching and kicking bags reduces anxiety and calms the mind.
The bottom line is, you are never too old to start exercising. Living in such stressful times, a gym routine is not enough. You need more. KOS offers to fuel your ignited passion towards MMA. Learn Boxing. It is an experience that will leave you thinking even after you exit the gym.